Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

22 weeks and Feeling the kicks

So my baby boy is kicking quite a bit now and its just a little uncomfortable but also comforting to know that hes doing well.  I have been watching (maybe addicted is a better word) to the Food network channel as background noise while I work and I was hoping that one of the food network stars would put out a show like the old Robbin Miller's Quick Fix Meals (which reruns often enough). 

Her show focuses on what to do with leftovers or how to minimize your time in the kitchen.  It made me think about my plans to minimize stress - with a new baby on the way.  I want to plan my menu for the week - I did this for a while when my daughter was little, but I made the mistake of cooking every day.  I think this time around - a much wiser me - would like to cook one or two days a week and have enough food to quick-fix throughout the week so I minimize stress and work.

So I started to experiment.  On Monday I cooked only 3 cups of basmati rice, an entire bag of dried red beans and just a few pork cutlets.  I had a few empanadas in the freezer pre-made for a rainy/lazy day and I decided to add a little pesto to the leftover rice and bake the empanadas for lunch.  On Thursday I purchased 1.5 pounds of ground sirloin and I sauteed it with onions, yellow peppers, garlic, basil and chili and added the beans and some chicken broth to make a chili.  I think Im getting the hang of this.

The following meal doesnt leave leftovers so its hard to experiment, I hope you love it as much as we do, its my take on asian noodle salad and its absolutely our favorite meal.

Red Pepper Sofrito and Asian Noodle Salad

Ingredients

1 package soba noodles (preferably Annie Chun www.anniechun.com)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup hot chili oil (reduce for less of a kick)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
4 heeping tablespoons of Red Pepper Sofrito (separate recipe)
1 carrot, thinly sliced or julienned
1 cup of thinly sliced red cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced Napa cabbage
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced or julienned
1/4 red onion thinly sliced
1/2 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
Garlic Sesame seeds (Chemical free)

Directions
In a medium stock pot, boil water, add salt and cook noodles. Drain, add a little olive oil so the noodles don’t stick and place noodles in an ice water bath or fridge to cool. Set aside

Red Pepper Sofrito: In a chopper/grinder or food processor add 1/3 of the chopped red pepper, 1/3 of the red onion, olive oil, cilantro, fresh basil, and garlic. You can make as much of this as you like and reserve it but for this recipe you only need about 4 heeping tablespoons.

In medium bowl combine sesame oil, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, hot chili oil, red pepper sofrito and extra-virgin olive oil. Mix thoroughly and then combine all vegetables with noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment